- Peel, core and chop pears. Place in a pan with dates, shallots, apples, sugar and cinnamon sticks. Pour in 300ml of the cider vinegar, season and slowly bring to a simmer, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes, until tender.
- Pour in another 300ml cider vinegar and cook for a further 30 minutes, stirring often, or until thickened. If it’s still runny, simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Divide the hot chutney between sterilised jars and set aside to cool.
- Place a disc of waxed paper directly onto the chutney and seal with airtight lids or Cellophane and elastic bands. Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight, for at least 1 month before eating. It will keep for up to 6 months. Chill after opening and use within 1-2 months.
You’ll need to sterilise the jars or your chutney will go mouldy. Wash them thoroughly in warm, clean, soapy water, drain upside down on kitchen towel and place on a baking tray in a preheated oven at 140C/fan120C/gas 1 for 15 minutes. Turn the oven to its lowest setting and keep the jars inside while you make the chutney.