- Take a pan and dry roast the fennel seeds and mustard seeds over low flame until you can smell the aroma.
- Grind it to a fine powder using a spice grinder or stone and mortar.
- Now add this to tamarind, dates, raisins, chilly powder and green chillies.
- Now heat oil in a saucepan, add the mixture to it and cook for 5-7 mins until it becomes soggy and thick.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 40-50 mins so that it is entirely cooked and sticks a little (yet can fall off) from a spoon.
- Remove from heat and let it cool entirely.
- At this point, you can choose to blend / churn this chutney in a mixer if you like to smooth. I prefer it thick with the date and raisin pieces barely visible. Take a sterilized jar (washed in boiling water and dried in sun) and store in a cool dry place.
- Referigerate after first use, and you can easily preserve it for a month.